Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Week 3, Day 1


Rembrandt's "The Apostle Paul"


2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

This verse has always intrigued me. When Paul wrote it, what do you think he meant when he wrote the word "scripture?"

I mean, he definitely meant the Torah (Genesis-Deuteronomy). And probably Isaiah and the Psalms. But I wonder, did he know that the very words he was writing would become what we know as God-breathed? Did Paul (or any of the writers) know they were writing the very word of God?

My guess is, if we asked Paul that question--wheteher or not he knew he was writing the word of God, he would laugh and say something like, "Who cares? I knew God himself."

No comments: