I remember the first time I heard conversational style prayer and remember being blown away.
Okay, maybe I had heard it before and not known it, but it was among Christians in college where I heard people actually addressing God and speaking to Him as if He were, you know, really listening! (I know, shocking!)
Don’t get me wrong. My whole life before then had not been void of prayer, certainly not void of God. But prayer was a pious religious practice, one that we (my sisters and I) did often and even in public, and only in our best speaking voices.
Then get to college and instead of "Dear Heavenly Father…" I hear a guy say (!) "Hey God!..." I was floored, and inched toward the door to get a safer distance between me and the forthcoming lighting bolt.
But the only lightning flash that day came in my heart and mind. To think of God as approachable--as really and truly desiring a relationship with me, well, that was an old, old story suddenly made new. My devotions and quiet times took off, with a new found desire to have not just religion but this NEW feeling of relationship with Jesus.
Then, somewhere between my millionth verse of "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever" and my billionth prayer to old Father Weejus (You know the one. The one that unthinkingly begins, "Father wee-jus…" as in "Father wee-jus wanna thank you…") the new became old again.
The pendulum had over-swung, and now needed some correcting in the other direction. Back to my roots I turned and found at that church even today old men still putting on their Sunday best out of reverence to a Holy God. No "Hey, God!" here. Holy God, but not Hey God. These folks helped me see the holiness of God.
So who is right? Those who see God as approachable and even "friendly," or those who see God as matchlessly Holy and completely "other?" Which side do you tend to err on?
Discuss in the comments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
so I just finished week 2 day 2 and I am having such a hard time confessing my sins. I realized that, that is something I lack while in prayer and it is such an important part of prayer. I also do not listen and am having such a hard time with that. Its like I do all the talking and don't even wait for what he has to say in response or don't have the patience to listen. it makes sense considering I am always feeling stressed. I am not truly dedicating it into his hands and am really struggling with this...its like do I really truly know how to pray (never thought I would say that)...this lesson has definitely opened my eyes!
Wow, I totally know what you mean, Bindu. I find that I try to leave things in His hands, then TAKE THEM BACK at the next possible moment!
Post a Comment